BOMB PROJECT: I LIE KIT

Initially, I was rather apprehensive about the ‘bomb project’. A mere 10 hours to conceptualise, ideate, design and refine seemed a challenging time frame but having successfully faced a similar creative strategy in my undergraduate study and having worked in the packaging design industry for so long, I am aware of the pressures of time constraints and looming deadlines. With this in mind I set about preparing a time scheduled, plan of action in order to break the project down into manageable ‘chunks’.

Utilising an online calendar at the ‘Teamweek’ website I had previously prepared a detailed study plan. Here I had allocated a 6 day time period in which to complete this task. I then further subdivided this time frame into the following sections which I tried to follow as closely as possible:

  • 2 hours: Topic research
  • 1 hour: Visual research
  • 3 hours: Idea generation
  • 3 hours: Development of idea/s
  • 1 hour: Feedback/Refining

I specifically set out to manage my time effectively for this project as previous self reflection has raised my awareness on my tendency to procrastinate, not leaving enough time to comfortably complete the task. By time chunking I was able to set myself achievable targets and deadlines whilst simultaneously managing other commitments and, perhaps, most importantly without becoming overwhelmed. Now on day 5 of 6 I am on target to achieve the initial goals I set for myself. I aim to adopt this time management strategy within my creative framework as a matter of course from now on as it has proven to be highly beneficial in this instance.

Upon establishing a time frame I began to research the overall concept of ‘Bridging Distance’, by utilising a combination of brainstorming techniques, internet searches and mind mapping (see fig 1.1). This allowed me to explore a vast array of possibilities for this open ended project and then enabled me to analyse the merit of each idea in turn. In doing so I was able to identify positive and negative attributes and then discount ideas based on their significance (or lack thereof)  to the theme and also based on their relevance to the informal manifesto for desirable design that I outlined in my previous post.

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.23.37 PM

Fig 1.1
This process ultimately led to my decision to begin visual research around my ‘Liar’s Survival Kit’ idea, with the added bonus that it also ties in perfectly to my main research theme. The name ‘I LIE kit’ was quite a happy accident, as I’ve found, some of the best ideas can be! I began to sketch ideas and the words just seemed to fall in to place, further encouraging me that I was on the right creative path. I believe that in spending a significant portion of the time allocation on research that I was able to synthesize theoretical and visual information paving the way for idea generation leading to this specific idea.

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.23.49 PM

Fig 1.2

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.24.09 PM

Fig 1.3

Throughout this process I have sought feedback, on at least 4 separate occasions, from my creative colleagues; discussing ideas, refinement and possible creative solutions to this design problem. This feedback has been undoubtedly beneficial and I would go as far to say an imperative part of my process. Constructive critique enabled me to question certain aspects of my work, make significant improvements to layout and also reaffirmed that my ideas are successful not just in terms of aesthetics but also in fulfilling the learning outcomes and objectives of this project and that of my personal innovation mandate.

Whilst I still have a number of hours left to work on this project I have decided that I would like to continue to work on the packaging and aim to produce a physical mock up of the designs. I am aware that this will take me well over and above the 10 hour suggested time frame but I believe that, so far, this has been a very successful project and more polished outcomes can only serve to augment and enhance my main research goals. I consider this justification for any extra time and effort spent and I am really looking forward to seeing the final results.


Below are a series of my sketches and experiments, demonstrating my creative process and finally the branding options I have chosen to progress.

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.26.20 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.26.55 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.27.03 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.27.14 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.27.32 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.24.41 PM

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.24.52 PMScreen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.25.00 PMScreen Shot 2015-04-14 at 4.25.13 PMScreen Shot 2015-04-14 at 5.48.56 PM

Advertisements
BOMB PROJECT: I LIE KIT

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s